Apple pie has a delicious way of signaling the holidays are here. The warm smell of cinnamon filling the house instantly transports us back to our childhood when the magic of the holidays was so simple. As adults, it reminds us to slow down a bit and remember to be thankful and grateful for our family, friends, and all that we hold dear.
This year, we’d like to share a new recipe for you to enjoy alongside the favorite people in your life. Start a healthy apple pie tradition this year by ditching the shortening, butter, and wheat. Instead, create a dessert using mineral-rich superfoods that tastes amazing AND leaves you feeling balanced and energized, rather than bloated and sluggish!
Vegan, Gluten Free Holiday Apple Pie
Recipe by: Chef Colleen Cackowski
*Please use organic ingredients wherever possible for maximum nutritional benefits.
FOR THE APPLE PIE CRUST
2 cups densely packed Almond Flour
1 TBSP Organic Raw Chia Seeds, finely ground in a coffee grinder
3+ TBSP Water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix the ground chia seeds and the 3 TBSP water together and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place almond flour in a food processor and while running, pour in the chia mixture.
- Pulse until the chia mixture is completely incorporated and the dough starts to stick together. Drizzle in more water as needed. The dough should be soft and smooth.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Condense it into a ball and refrigerate about 30 min.
- Roll the dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to the right size for your pie plate, and then turn it out into the dish. You can adjust the size and spread of the dough as you go.
- Press the dough up the sides of the plate and level the center as much as possible. Use a pizza roller for evenness if you have one.
- Flute the edges using your fingers or a fork. Poke the crust all over with a fork.
- Bake the pie crust for about 15-20 minutes at 350° F until slightly golden. Remove and set aside.
FOR THE APPLE PIE FILLING
6 Apples, cored and sliced into thin sections
1/4 cup mix of Raisins and Dragon Herbs® Heaven Mountain Goji Berries, or just Raisins
3 TBSP Arrowroot Powder or Tapioca Starch
2 TBSP Organic Raw Lucuma Powder
1 TBSP Pumpkin Pie Spice and/or Cinnamon, add more to taste
Juice of 1 Lemon
- Put the sliced apples, cane juice crystals, raisins/goji, lemon juice, and spices in a pan and sauté on low until the apples become slightly soft, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the slices). The apples will start to give up their water. You can add just a little bit of water to get them started if needed.
- When the apples are soft, add the arrowroot/tapioca and the lucuma powder and stir well to combine.
- Set aside.
FOR THE APPLE PIE TOPPING
½ cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
½ cup Raw Almonds
½ cup Raisins
½ cup Gluten-free Rolled Oats
2-3 TBSP Organic Sundried Cane Juice Crystals
2 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Icelandic Flake Salt
- To make the topping, simply combine all topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse gently, until the mixture starts to become fine and crumbly.
- To assemble the pie, pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the topping over the pie. Spread evenly.
- To prevent burning, gently cover the top of the pie, and place the assembled pie to the oven to bake an additional 20 minutes at 300° F. You can remove the cover the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Cool before slicing.
You’re now ready to enjoy a delicious vegan, gluten free apple pie! Enjoy!