The Natural Solution to Hair Dye is (Finally) Here


This clip was taken from one of David “Avocado” Wolfe’s lectures at the Longevity Now® Conference #13.  In it David exposes the massive toxicity issue with the use of chemical hair dyes and also presents the natural solution to hair dye that is finally here!!

Below is just some of the information pertaining to the potentially carcinogenic nature of the chemicals used in conventional hair dyes. Though it probably goes without saying we just want to make it clear that the links below are not necessarily reflective of the opinions or advice of David Wolfe or the Longevity Warehouse and we are not medical professionals qualified to give medical advice. The information below is the beginning of the research we are collecting on the subject of hair dyes, which is a new field of interest to our company, and is for educational purposes only.

Here is a list of chemicals commonly found in hair dyes that are other than the best ever:

  • Benzene: A solvent obtained from coal. Highly flammable and poisonous when ingested and irritating to the mucous membranes. Harmful amounts may be absorbed through the skin and can cause sensitivity to light in which the skin may break out in a rash or swell. Inhalation of the fumes may be toxic. Banned in February 1978 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission for the use in the manufacture of  many household products. For more than a century, scientists have known that benzene is a powerful bone morrow poison, causing conditions as aplastic anemia. In the past several decades evidence has been mounting that it also causes leukemia. It has a chronic effect on bone marrow, destroying the marrow’s ability to produce blood cells. Safety standards for cosmetic manufacturing workers and other workers have been set at 10 parts per million during an eight hour day but OSHA wants it reduced to 1 part per million.
  • Xylenes: Xylene is an aromatic hydrocarbon like chlorine and has been thought to cause cancer, but no definitive tests have been done yet.  It is toxic by inhalation or ingestion. Used as a solvent.
  • Naphthalene: A coal tar derivative, it is used to manufacture dyes, solvents, and lubricants; as a moth repellent; and as a topical and internal antiseptic. It has been used as a dusting powder to combat insects on animals. Can cause allergic contact dermatitis.
  • Pyridine: Occurs naturally in coffee and coal tar. It has a disagreeable odor and sharp taste. Used in chocolate flavorings for beverages, ice cream, ices, candy, and baked goods. Also used as a solvent for organic liquids and compounds. Once used to treat asthma, but may cause central nervous system depression and irritation of the skin and respiratory tract.
  • Quinoline: A derivative of coal tar used in cosmetic dyes, and a solvent for resins. Made either by the distillation of coal tar, bones, and alkaloids or by the interaction of aniline with aceldehyde and formaldehyde.
  • Phenol: Also known as Carbolic Acid. Obtained from coal tar and occurs in urine. Phenol has the characteristic odor present in coal tar and wood. It is a general disinfectant and anesthetic for the skin. Ingestion of even small amounts may cause nausea, vomiting and circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma , and a greenish urine as well as necrosis of the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. Death results from respiratory failure. Fatalities have been reported from the ingestion of as little as 1.5 grams (30 grams to the ounce). A concentration of 1 percent used to prevent itching from insect bites and sunburn, applied for several hours, caused gangrene resulting from the spasm of small blood vessels under the skin. Swelling, pimples, hives, and other skin rashes following application to the skin have been widely reported. A concentration of 2 percents causes gangrene, burning, and numbness.
  • Creosol: Cresols are obtained from coal tar and wood and are an antiseptic and disinfectant. Chronic poisoning may occur from oral ingestion or absorption through the skin. They may also produce digestive disturbances and nervous disorders with fainting , dizziness, mental changes, skin eruption, jaundice, uremia, and lack of urine. They caused cancer when given orally to rats in doses of 1,000 parts per million. In 1992 the FDA proposed a ban on cresols in astringent drug products because they have not been shown to be safe and effective for its stated claims.
  • P-phenylenediamine: Most permanent home and beauty parlor dyes contain this chemical. also called oxidation dyes, amino dyes, para dyes, or peroxide dyes. May produce eczema, bronchial asthma, gastritis, skin rash, and death. Can cross react with many other chemicals, including azo dyes used for temporary hair colorings. Can also produce photosensitization. Has been found to cause cancer in animals and is not allowed in European products.

Here is an additional list from the EPA.

According to the FDA, “In the 1980s, some coal-tar hair dyes were found to cause cancer in animals. FDA published a regulation requiring a special warning statement for all hair dye products containing these two ingredients:

  • 4-methoxy-m-phenylenediamine 2,4-diaminoanisole
  • 2, 4-methoxy-m-phenylenediamine sulfate 2,4-diaminoanisole sulfate

The cosmetic industry has since reformulated coal-tar hair dye products, and we are no longer seeing these two ingredients in hair dyes.”

Here is information from the The American Cancer Society who says “Researchers have been studying a possible link between hair dye use and cancer for many years. Studies have looked most closely at the risks of blood cancers (leukemias and lymphomas) and bladder cancer. While some studies have suggested possible links, others have not.”

You’ll notice that according to the FDA the known carcinogenic compounds in hair dye began being removed and regulated in 1980. However it seems that regulation and labeling requirements for the industry have not been strictly enforced.  According to the US Government Accountability Office “Exemptions in the act do not permit FDA to regulate coal tar hair dye products effectively; they bar the agency from banning or restricting the use of cancer-causing coal tar hair dyes. Although coal tar hair dyes are subject to FDA labeling requirements, the agency has not used this authority to require a cancer warning on labels of dyes containing known human or animal carcinogens.”

We have actually attempted to get complete lists of ingredients from two companies who are selling “natural” dyes with some plant based ingredients and they have been unwilling to provide us with that information. You may try doing the same and see if you have any luck.

So with all of that evidence pointing to the problems caused by using toxic conventional hair dyes we are thrilled to also share the natural solution to hair dye.  Listen to this interview with the inventor of this incredible breakthrough product, John Warner, by David “Avocado” Wolfe.  Check out the Hairprint product and it’s food grade ingredients now available here!!




Finally, a natural solution to hair dye.

View product button


Add yours
  1. Dina

    For those who want to continue colouring their hair, Hairprint is a great non-toxic alternative. In my opinion, the number one choice is to go natural and embrace the silver. I did that after 20 years of colouring my hair and I would never go back to colouring again. I love my silver! I do realize that not everyone is ready yet to embrace there natural silver hair and for these individuals this natural hair dye is a good choice.
    This video about Hairprint is on the fringe of communicating that grey hair needs a remedy or a solution, that needs a fix. Let’s change that old message and better yet, promote Hairprint as a alternative to the toxic dyes out there. Let’s not market it as a solution for grey hair as if grey hair is a problem.

  2. Neena

    I have tried using Hairprint for 3 times now and it does not give me the color of my natural hair. It is only dying them in a brown reddish color. And that too, not all grey is being covered. I have black hair as an Asian Indian. Can anybody share their experience with hairprint?

    • Victoria

      Neena, I’m sorry for you.
      I’ve had the same experience as you with Hairprint. It’s frustrating because it is such a long process to go through and my scalp is tender afterwards from it. Not to mention the price.. and then to have it not turn out..I’m not sure what I’m going to do; I’m not ready to let my hair go grey, but I don’t want to go back to chemical hair dye either. Really disappointing!

      • tenbroeckneighbor

        Maybe Henna? I have let my silver stay there – right now it only frames my face and sometimes people think i did that on purpose. However, if you don’t have that much gray henna seems like a good alternative to toxic dye if this hair print thing didn’t work out – it doesn’t leave your scalp tender either.

        • Milda Mccm

          I did henna for over a year (black henna, maybe that has to do with it ) – I dried my hair up. Maybe the only natural henna is red???

  3. Neena

    I went back to the hair dye although I am using Nataya by Goldwell which is supposed to be somewhat better than the regular chemical version but yes, I or my family is not ready for the grey yet…..maybe in 10-15 years.

+ Leave a Comment